Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crack

This recipe is for a salty, sweet, crunchy snack made with chocolate, caramel, and saltine crackers.  Sorry to disappoint if this isn't the type of crack you were looking for (although instructions for making crack cocaine are also scary easy to find online, thank you google.)


The first time I had this, my big sister's friend had brought it to a dinner party.  As I've said before, I'm not big on sweets, but I was starting to get hangry and so began to snack on everything in sight.  I started with a small piece of crack.  Then I had another piece.  And then I started double fisting giant chunks of the stuff.  And now I guess I'm addicted to crack.  It's also made from crack(ers) and is also "cracked" into pieces at the end, so there's your triple entendre.

Just give in to the addiction.

Ingredients:

:: 1 sleeve of saltine crackers, or enough to cover the surface of a sheet tray (I used 1 sleeve + 3 crackers)
:: 1 cup (2 sticks) butter.  Don't give me that look.  No one ever said that crack was good for you.
:: 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
:: 1 package chocolate morsels (I like semi-sweet)

Preheat your oven to 350.  Line a sheet tray/cookie sheet with foil for easy clean-up.  Line saltines up in a single layer over the entire surface of the cookie sheet.

In a medium sized saucepan, cook the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture boils.  Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.


Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the saltines.  Hurry!  It'll start to cool and solidify immediately.  Put the tray in the oven for 10-15 minutes.  Watch it carefully around the 10th minute so that it doesn't burn.
 


Remove the tray, let the saltines cool for a minute, and then sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the surface.  The heat from the toffee/saltines will start to melt the chips.  Once this happens, spread the chips with a spatula until it coats pretty evenly.  

Stick the tray in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes until cooled completely.  Crack the crack by hand and begin the addiction.

This would keep in the fridge for probably 1-2 weeks, but good luck having it actually last that long...

1 comment:

  1. THE BUTTER! the last ingredient i didnt think of. no wonder it was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete