Thursday, May 26, 2011

Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella Crostinis with Basil Oil

I admit it. I totally ripped this idea off from Orzo, one of my favorite restaurants in town. They serve this as one of their lunch or dinner appetizers, and despite the $9 price tag for just two (albeit large!) crostinis, it hasn't prevented me from ordering it every single time I eat there. The portions are generous, relatively speaking when it comes to prosciutto di parma anyway, and the salt of the meat along with the creaminess of the cheese and crunch of the bread and herbiness of the oil......... sorry for making you listen to my food daydreams.

Me and T decided that it was ridiculous how much money we have spent on this stupid appetizer so are attempting to recreate it ourselves. The discerning reader will point out "But Sunny, you spent way more than $9 on these ingredients alone!". And you would be right. But that's because you forgot how many portions I intend to make.

Prosciutto is a slowly dry-cured ham, most famously from Italy. It is buttery smooth and very salty, so is usually served in ultra thin slices. I made a special trip to Feast! just to buy the higher quality prosciutto because I guess it's go-hard-or-go-home and I wanted this to be just right. I opted for the prosciutto di parma, since the next option was a locally made prosciutto that cost (this is hard for me to even type it....) $50 per pound. Since I am not Bill Gates, the cheaper one was perfectly suitable for my needs.

I used an Albemarle Baking Co. baguette, which I think are very good, but to be completely truthful (dare I say, even blasphemous?), I'm not sure they are worth $3.

Basil Oil

:: 1 bunch basil, stems removed (about 1 cup?)
:: 1/2 cup oil - this is one instance where using a canola or vegetable or other unflavored oil might be better than olive oil so that it doesn't drown out the flavor of the basil

Boil a pot of water. Put basil in for 30 seconds. Take basil out, rinse under cold water.

This technique is called blanching, where you cook something very briefly in hot water and then shock it in cold to stop the cooking. It keeps your veggies looking bright and green and fresh tasting.

Pat dry (important!), add basil and oil into blender. I had to add in a little more oil than pictured below. Salt and pepper to taste while blending!

Mmm... isn't that the prettiest baby food you've ever seen?!

Assembling the crostini

Ingredients:

:: 1 baguette, sliced on the bias about 3/4" thick
:: 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
:: 2 slices prosciutto
:: basil oil

Grill the baguette slices if desired. I have an electric stove, much to my dismay, but did it on a dry pan over medium high heat; you could of course brush with some oil.

Pour a little basil oil down on a plate. Place grilled baguette slice on plate, layer mozzarella and then prosciutto on top. Insert baguette into mouth, bite, chew, and understand what all the fuss is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment