Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chocolate Pie


The Ronald McDonald House in Charlottesville provides low cost housing (a "home away from home") to families whose children are seeking medical treatment at the UVA Hospital.  I had the opportunity to cook for these families while they try to make it through a very difficult time, and decided to make a dessert.  

Cooking for people you've never met before is kind of difficult, because you never know what they're going to like, or not like.  I settled for chocolate because with the exception of a few really really confused people, most everyone likes it.

You could make this pie with a whipped cream topping, but I thought meringue was a lighter alternative.  It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made, but I needed the foil pie tin for easy transportation :)


Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping
(serves 8-10)

:: store bought pie crust

filling
:: 4 tbsp cocoa powder
:: 3/4 cup sugar
:: 4 tbsp flour
:: 1/4 tsp salt
:: 1 1/2 cup milk
:: 2 egg yolks
:: 1 tsp vanilla
:: 2 tsp butter

meringue topping
:: 3 egg whites
:: 1/8 tsp salt
:: 4 tbsp sugar

Bake the pie crust according to directions until golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Turn oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, cook all the filling ingredients except vanilla and butter over medium heat until thick smooth, about 10 minutes.  Turn off heat, stir in vanilla and butter.

Beat egg whites in a clean bowl on med high speed until they start to fluff up.  Add salt, add sugar in 1 tbsp at a time until soft peaks form.
Pour chocolate mixture into pie crust, pour meringue on top.  Bake for 10 minutes, or until meringue turns a golden color.  I garnished with some Hershey's chocolate syrup that I thickened up with confectioner's sugar.  It was clearly still a little bit runny!

Of course I had to make a mini one to test for myself.....  


I really enjoyed it, and I hope they did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment